Hello and Happy New Year! Today we are going to talk about an interesting topic that is 3D printing and its revolutionary effect on the food industry.
So what is 3D printing?
3D printing is a process of making three dimensional solid objects from digital file. It is also called additive manufacturing since in this technology an object is created by adding a layer on layer of material until the object is created.
3D technology is getting boosted its all-time high with patronage from industries like Aerospace, Automotive, Packaging, Food and is expected to reach $21B in worldwide revenue by 2020 (source:www.outsource2india.com).
How 3D technology is getting applied into Food industry?
In the Food industry, 3D is getting applied with the use of specific and cut out printers for the purpose. It uses lasers, powdery materials, nozzles and some other important materials and creates the product as per ground technique of the technology i.e. layering over and over till the desired design is created. This has opened up an altogether new door, where manufacturers are attempting to deliver customized food product with the right nutrients in their desirable presentation.
What are the advantages of 3D technology in food?
Advantages of 3d technology for the food industry can be summed up under following heads:
- Perfection of presentation: Well when nothing can beat handmade stuff’s made with love and care, still it can be counted under advantage that perfection of presentation and design achieved by 3D technology is unmatchable.
- Time-Saving: Since the whole technology is machine-driven, it frees a lot of manual labor allowing time for other tasks and even in the machine the time consumed for creation is much lesser than what required when done manually.
- Sustainability: Food printers have ability to minimize the wastage of products while manufacturing as compared to manual process. Also, it can make use of components that are edible but cannot be used in traditional food making process like grass, duckweed.
- More personalization: Since food printers are abided by digital data, it is possible to make personalizations more accurate in terms of nutrition, food components and final presentation.
- Innovation: This is an obvious pointer. Food printer being digital machine allows lots of innovations that are not achievable by hand.
We will be back with another topic next time. Till then stay tuned and happy fooding!